Financial Wellness

Helping you manage your money, for school and for life!

Saving Money by Cutting Cable

| 0 comments

For most people, myself included, when I look at ways in which I can cut back every month, the buck stops when it comes to my cable.  After all, if I’m saving money by not going out as much, aren’t I going to rely more on TV for entertainment?  And since my cable is bundled with my internet service, it just seems logical to keep it all anyway.  Right?  Well, maybe not.

There have been so many advancements with streaming technology that you may be able to save yourself hundreds of dollars per year by cutting the cord and making the switch!  With Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, network websites and so many other ways to get your television fix, it does seem like cable companies may be going the way of the dodo.  By finding a good internet plan and subscibing to a few streaming services, many converts are swearing by this new way of watching television.

I don’t pretened to be an expert on this stuff, but the money saver in me was definitely intrigued by this article by Snarkfinance writer Mitchell Pauly.  He shows an example of $888 annual savings for a Comcast customer switching to streaming – when you put it like that, it certainly seems worth consideration!

Has anyone made the leap and gotten rid of their cable?  Tell us what you think!

Author: Carissa

I am a Graduate Academic Advisor.