Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is designed to provide eligible students with an opportunity to gain actual employment experience that is “an integral part of an established curriculum”. Such training is defined as “alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.” The training must be a requirement or an integral part of your degree which means you must receive credit for the training.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is available to F-1 students who have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one full academic year at Franklin University.
If you are determined to be eligible, OISP will authorize your CPT. With this authorization you can begin your employment. You are not eligible to work until you receive this authorization from OISP. No other authorization is required for CPT.
Students who have engaged in one year or more of full-time CPT are ineligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Part-time Curricular Practical Training does not impact your ability to use OPT at all.
Eligibility requirements and limitations at Franklin University:
- CPT will be authorized for one semester at a time based on the academic calendar for that semester.
- CPT is limited to a maximum period of three academic semesters unless absolutely required by the program or absolutely required to ensure timely graduation.
- CPT authorization will not be renewed if the student does not meet Standards of Academic Progress established by the Office of International Students & Programs for F-1 international students.
- Full time CPT will only be authorized during a student’s official break term.
- Graduate students who are completing undergraduate level prerequisite courses will only be allowed to pursue CPT after they have completed all their prerequisite courses and are enrolled in graduate-level coursework.
Application process for CPT:
- Email OISP to determine if you are eligible for CPT based on current immigration regulation.
- Schedule a meeting with your Academic Advisor to determine academic eligibility for CPT and to request a copy of the internship manual.
- Secure an internship position and obtain an internship offer letter.
- Meet with the person who will supervise you at the internship site to discuss the internship and get his/her signature on the Internship Application & Learning Agreement.
- Write a proposal for your major’s Program Chair to describe how the internship will help you academically.
- Contact your major’s Program Chair to discuss your proposal and determine if the internship meets the requirements for academic credit.
- Once the Program Chair approves the internship, he/she will sign the Internship Application & Learning Agreement (Appendix A).
- E-mail OISP the signed Appendix A and Offer Letter and have OISP sign the Appendix A. Make sure OISP has the internship information in order to issue you a new I-20.
- Meet with your academic advisor to register for the internship credit. Be sure to bring: a) Signed Internship Application & Learning Agreement (Appendix A); b) Internship Offer Letter on letterhead including:
- the job description
- the start date and end date of internship
- the number of hours that will be worked per week
- the name and address of the employer
- Contact OISP to pick up the I-20 indicating that you are authorized to work.
- Begin work and complete internship requirements.
In order to find an internship we recommend you to use Franklin’s CareerBeam which is a virtual career success center that is content rich in all aspects of career development, including assessments, professional resume and cover letter builders, interview preparation materials, search strategy resources and more. You can find the CareerBeam at http://www.franklin.edu/careerbeam.
F-1 students may not begin Curricular Practical Training until the Form I-20 has been endorsed to indicate authorization. International students must not continue employment beyond the date authorized. For an extension of Curricular Practical Training, please see OISP before the end date of the authorized employment.